Sunday, April 20, 2008

Why a Global Warming Blog?

I started this blog to fulfill a requirement for my EDT 660 (multimedia and interactive technologies) course that I'm taking for my Master's degree.
The assignment I chose was to create a multimedia project (using video, audio, text, still visuals, etc.) that provides instructions to complete an at-home science experiment that could supplement a unit on global warming and weather patterns. The lab project was to be aimed at middle- or high school students with diverse learning styles.

I chose this project from the list because it is perfect for me! Science has always been one of my favorite subjects; I work with students who are home-schooled (an at-home lab is perfect for them); and I've been conscious of the issues with the environment since I was in elementary school so a project on global warming is right up my alley. :)

Rather than simply make a video or a PowerPoint presentation about this experiment, I decided to create a blog. While the other formats would have worked wonderfully, I wanted an easy way to share this experience with my students as well as students from around the world who stumble upon this blog. This method of delivery will also allow me to provide background information on topics such as global warming and climate change, the human impact on the earth, and simple things anyone can do to help reduce that impact. The blog format also allows me to link to other sites and to receive comments from those who stop by. I love feedback so please feel free to let me know what you think!

Enjoy and happy learning! :)

No comments: